Election Results 2012
Manipur is a state in Northeast India with Imphal as its capital city. Over the past few years, Manipur has seen several ethnic clashes among its local groups. the primary ethnic group in the state, which cover almost 60% of total population is the Meiteis. But the Meiteis are restricted to just 10% of the total land area. The remaining 90% land is occupied by the Kukis, Nagas and Paites, who form the other 40% of the population.
Manipur has undergone a separatist movement since 1964, with some groups even demanding a sovereign state which is separate from India. There are a lot of groups in Manipur with a variety of demands. The Unired National Liberation Front (UNLF), Peoples Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak (PREPAK) and PLA of Manipur together form the Manipur People's Liberation Front. Their primary demand is independence from India. The Kuki insurgent groups, which comprise of Kuki National Organisation and United Peoples Forum, want a separate state formed with some parts from Nagaland.
Manipur was recently witness to a 120 day economic blockade. Prices of petrol, food and all other essential commodities went sky high and people were left suffering. But despite having a Congress Govt at the center, the state Govt led by Congress was unable to do much to end the blockade. In the absence of a strong united opposition, Congress would be hoping to win the Manipur elections 2012.
Some facts on Manipur Assembly Polls 2012:
|Districts ||Total Constituencies ||Electoral Rolls ||Polling Stations |
Manipur Elections 2012 Phases:
The state will go to polls in a single phase on 28th Jan 2012 and Manipur election results will be declared on 6th March 2012.
|Polling Events ||Poll Dates |
|Issue of Notification
||04.01.2012 (Wednesday) |
|Last date for making Nominations
||11.01.2012 (Wednesday) |
|Scrutiny of Nominations
||12.01.2012 (Thursday) |
|Last date for withdrawal of candidature
||14.01.2012 (Saturday) |
|Date of Poll
||28.01.2012 (Saturday) |
|Counting of Votes
||06.03.2012 (Tuesday) |
|Date before which election process shall be completed
||09.03.2012 (Friday) |
Manipur Election Results:
General Elections 2009:
In the 2009 General Elections, Congress won both the seats.
Assembly Results for Manipur in 2007:
Congress won an easy majority by winning 30 seats in 2007 polls. Detailed coverage of Manipur 2007 Assembly results is here.
Manipur Election Results 2012: Manipur went back to Congress in 2012.
||No. of Seats
Manipur Assembly Constituencies for 2012 Elections:
There would be a total of 60 Vidhansabha seats from 9 districts of Manipur going to polls for Manipur 2012 Assembly elections.
Click the district names below to get election information on the constituencies: