Indore Tourist Guide, Hotels, Road Maps & Climate
Indore is the largest city and the commercial capital of the central Indian state of Madhya Pradesh and is situated on the Malwa Plateau, just south of the Satpura Range, on the banks of the rivers Sarasvati and Khan. The name Indore originated from the Indreshwar temple constructed in 1741 by local landowners and it was planned and built by Rani Ahilyabai. (Under wikipedia GNU)
Tourist Spots in Indore:
* Shree Sansthan Bada Rawala - Historical home of the founder of Indore, Rao Nandlal Chaudhary. It contains the famous personal library of philanthropist Niranjan Zamindar and has over 28,000 books and other artifacts of historical importance.
* Rajwada - A seven storied palace built during the Holkar era. The main wada (the kings' residence) was rebuilt recently to its original glory by Maharani Ushadevi Holkar.
* Lal Bagh Palace - A beautiful palace spread across 200 acres of land . It is now a museum and one can see the artefacts of the Holkar era.
* Kanch Mandir - Digambar Jain temple with exquisite glass work
* Krishnapura Chhatri - By the banks of the Khan river, it is at a walking distance from Rajwada.
* Devlalikar Kala Vithika - A well-known art gallery named after famous painter Vishnu Devlalikar
* Khajrana Ganesh temple - Temple of Lord Ganesha.
* Mhow (Military Headquarters of War) Cantonment - An old Cantonment town near Indore, founded in 1818. Has a very charming market and an old world charm. Foreigners cannot enter without permission.
* Patal Pani - A beautiful waterfall near Mhow. Patal Pani has a small railway station - the first after Mhow as one travels on the metre gauge track towards Khandwa.
* The temple of Janapao - On the Bombay-Agra National Highway-3 road. 16 km from Mhow. The temple is on top of a hill in the village of Kuti. According to legend, it is the place where Jamadagni, the father of Parshurama, had his ashram. It is famous for a mela (fair) held on Kartik Purnima - the first full moon after Diwali.
* Kajligarh - Nearly 20 km towards Khandwa on Khandwa road, its a very small old ruined fort situated near to a beautiful valley & small waterfall. Its worth watching during & after the rainy season. An Ideal one day outing spot which is yet unknown to even most of the Indorites
* Thincha Falls - Located close to kajligarh, its a beautiful waterfall near Simrol. Breathtaking beauty is what describes it the best. A must see during and after monsoons.
* Annapurna Temple - A nice Hindu Temple, primarily of goddess Annapurna, in the west region of the city.
The Indore Fact File:
* The gates of Lalbagh Palace, Indore, are a replica of the gates of Buckingham Palace in London. They were cast in England and then shipped to Indore.
* Indore has a huge cricket bat called "Vijay Balla" made out of concrete with names of the players of the Indian team who won the 1971 series against Gary Sobers' West Indies team.
* 40 feet high idol at Bada Ganapati is the largest idol of Lord Ganesh in the world.
* RRCAT(formerly CAT), Raja Rammanna Center for Advanced Technology is India's main Research center on Laser and Accelerator Technology, under the Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India.
* The famous Radio Mirchi 98.3(then 98.4) FM was started first in Indore, then spread to ten other cities of India including 4 metros.
* Until the early 1990s, Bollywood movies were released on Thursdays in Indore, and released elsewhere on Fridays.
* The first private landline telephone service in India was launched in Indore by Airtel by the name Touchtel.
* Because of similarity between the lifestyles, fashion and taste Indore is nicknamed Mini Bombay.
* The 250 year old Rajbada of Indore is the only structure in India which has been reconstructed as it existed using the similar materials and methods of construction in 2007.
* First City in INDIA to have twin reputed education institutes IIM and IIT.
We at travelindia-guide.com always try to provide you with relevant travel information so that you can plan your holiday vacations easily. So, check out our road maps section where you can calculate distances & find shortest routes. Also, get detailed information on the famous tourist spots and unbeatable rates on Indore hotels reservation when you book hotel rooms with us. If you want to share your trip memories with us, please upload your photos in our travel gallery.
Are you planning to visit Indore in Madhya Pradesh in the near future? Then, here's the climate, temperature and Indore weather forecast so that you can plan your vacation or business trip accordingly: