Ujjain Tourist Guide, Hotels, Road Maps & Climate
Ujjain is an ancient city of Malwa in central India on the eastern bank of the Kshipra River. In ancient times the city was called Ujjayini. As per epic Mahabharata Ujjayani was the capital of Avanti Kingdom. It is one of the seven sacred cities of the Hindus, and the Kumbh Mela religious festival is held there every twelve years. It is also home to Mahakaleshwar Jyotirlinga, one of the twelve Jyotirlinga shrines to the Hindu God Shiva. Ujjain is a holy city for Hindus and has many places to visit for the religiously inclined. (Under wikipedia GNU)
Must See Tourist Spots in Ujjain:
* The Mahakal Temple: one of the twelve Jyotirlingas, is the most famous and venerated Shiva temple. The Shivling in this temple is supposed to be the only Jyotirling which faces south and hence it is known as Dakshinmukhi or the south-facing ling.
* Other temples are Harsidhhi (Durga Temple), Chintaman Ganesh, Gadh Kalika, Kaal Bhairav, Sandipani Ashram, Triveni (Nav Graha Shani Mandir), ISKCON (The International Society for Krishna Consciousness) temple, Mangalnaath and Siddhhanath.
* Harsidhhi Temple is one of the famous Shaktipeethas all over India.
* Sandipani Ashram is the place where Shri Krishna got education with Balarama and Sudama from Maharshi Sandipani.
* Kaliyadeh Palace - a fine piece of ancient Indian architecture, though in poor upkeep.
* The Bhrathari caves is an ancient cave which has some interesting legends associated with it.
* The Observatory (Vedha Shala) built by a Rajput king, Raja Jai Singh II, is one of the five such observatories in India and features ancient astronomical devices.
* The new ISKCON temple is a must for every tourist. Prashanti Dham (Sai Baba's Ashram) is a holy place to visit.
* It is quite a soothing experience to sit on the banks of river Kshipra, relieving all your mental worries. Some places are Ramghat, Narsinghghat, Gangaghat, Gaughat, Retighat, Triveni, Sidhhanath.
* Jain temples like - Jai Singh Pura Atishay Kshetra, Tapobhoomi, Avanti Parshwanath, Hanumant baag etc.
* Kothi Palace presents a sight worth watching in the evening
* A museum named Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, located near Chamunda tower, where we can see many ancient objects
* It is said that the throne of Maharaja Vikramaditya, known as the seat of judgment (salabanjika throne) can be located in the Rudra Sagar lake
We at travelindia-guide.com always try to provide you with relevant travel information so that you can plan your holiday vacations easily. So, check out our road maps section where you can calculate distances & find shortest routes. Also, get detailed information on the famous tourist spots and unbeatable rates on Ujjain hotels reservation when you book hotel rooms with us. If you want to share your trip memories with us, please upload your photos in our travel gallery.
Are you planning to visit Ujjain in Madhya Pradesh in the near future? Then, here's the climate, temperature and Ujjain weather forecast so that you can plan your vacation or business trip accordingly: