So Holi, the colour of festival is back to fill our lives with shades of fun, happiness and frolics. Holi is being celebrated in some parts of India on Sunday, while others are celebrating the Holika Dahan today and Holi tomorrow.
Holi marks the opening of festivals in the Indian Hindu calendar. Holi is aptly called the festival of color and joy. Its spirit is uniquely Indian, colorful, exotic, happiness and full of energy.
On Holi, playing with colours is obviously of importance, but what holds equal importance is the variety of food available on Holi. Gujiya is an all time favourite, made especially for Holi. Gujiya’s are deep fried desi ghee and then soaked in sugar syrup, but not many care about calory intake during Holi anyways. Bhang and Thandai are another delicacy associated with only the Holi festival. Bhang is intoxicating, and can lead to hilarious conditions if drank more than one can take. Some people have been said to keep laughing or keep crying after a heavy intake. You can have more Holi recipes from here.
Holi also rushes in the Bollywood movie songs. Although majority of good Holi songs are those composed before the 1990’s, they still hold enough power to make you go crazy with the Holi spirit. If you planning to have your loud speakers blaring with Holi songs, some most obvious choices will be:
1. Holi Aayee Re Kanhai: Mother India (1957)
2. Arre ja re hat natkhat: Navrang (1959)
3. Aaj na choodenge bas hamjoli: Kati Patang (1970)
4. Piya sang khelo holi: Phagun (1973)
5. Holi ke din dil khil jaate hain: Sholay (1975)
6. Rang Barse Bheege Chunar Wali Rang Barse: Silsila (1981)
7. Mal de gulal mohe: Kaamchor (1982)
8. Holi aayi Holi aayi: Mashaal (1984)
9. Ang Se Ang Lagana Sajan: Darr (1993)
10. Dekho aayi holi: Mangal Pandey: The Rising (2005)
11. Hori Khele Raghuveera, Awadh mein Hori: Baghban (2003)