Sanjay Dutt Convicted for 5 years, crux behind and fore the story

You are here: Home navigationIndia News navigation

Sanjay Dutt Convicted for 5 years, crux behind and fore the story

Friday, 12th March 1993, a dismaying day in history, when 13 consecutive bomb blasts horrified our very own economic capital Bombay (Now Mumbai) leaving crores of lives traumatized and thousands of lives victimized.

The facts says that there were around 257 fatalities and more than 700 injuries of this disaster, ruling out to the involvement of several terrorist mechanism where the prime suspect turned out to be the Pakistan based underworld Don, Dawood Ibhrahim, owner of profoundly called D-Company. Ibhrahim, along with his Subordinates is believed to have ordered and helped organize the bombings in Bombay. Tiger Memon, Samir Hingora, Hajji Ahmed, Hajji Umar, Taufiq Jaliawala, Hanif Kadawala, Aslam Bhatti and Dawood Jatt are among his key subordinates.
Sanjay Dutt, the legendary 53 years old actor, son of Late Shri Sunil Dutt and Nargis, got hauled into this case, as he was accused of possessing illegal arms, which was definite to be a part of consignments bought by the terrorist activist to outrage this massive destruction of 1993 blasts. Ak-56 rifle and 9 mm pistol was recovered from his residence. He got arrested in April 1994 from Mumbai Airport and since then there has been rigorous trials for him for over 20 years; of which the most severe was the detention for one and a half years, till the time he got released on bail, recently returning to the nightmare of halt when Supreme Court on Thursday, 21st March 2013 sentenced 5 years of imprisonment for him, explaining the nature of crime to be very serious to release the actor on probation. To respite of Mr. Dutt, Supreme Court has subsided the term of 6 years into 5 years of imprisonment.

In his earlier proceedings, initially TADA Court charged the Actor under stringent Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act or TADA for conspiracy in the blasts and receiving weapons from Abu Salem which they later investigative to the conclusion that the Actor is not a terrorist but is guilty only for possessing illegal arms under Arms Act, sentencing him for the 6 years of imprisonment, of which Mr. Dutt was released on conditional bail after one and a half years of his imprisonment which is said to be with the help of Shiv Sena Chief late Shri Bal Thakeray. It was then when Actor moved to Supreme Court challenging his conviction.

If we go with the withdrawn confession of Mr. Dutt, to follow the sequence of the cause that followed, the root of occurrence shadowed when mafia don Abu Salem visited his home in January 1993 with Samir Hingora and Hanif Kadawala, proprietors of Magnum Video and alleged close associates of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim. They bought three AK-56 rifles with ammunition, from which he kept one solely to protect his family from Mumbai riots (as he claimed to receive several threats during that time), which ascended because of demolition of Babri Mosque in December 1992. Soon in 1993, when Mr. Dutt heard of Mumbai Serial Blasts and Samir Hingora and Hanif Kadawala’s arrest, he was astonished to believe and thereon he asked his friend Yusuf Nulwalla to destroy the rifle.

Now today, the verdict that is upheld by the Supreme Court had no other relief, except descending the term of 6 year into 5 years of imprisonment, of which Mr. Dutt has already bore 1 and a half years of imprisonment and is left more with 3 and a half years of detention. This 53 year old actor has been given 4 weeks to surrender
Soon after the judgment the kowtowing big-wigs from entire Bollywood, came up to his support. Leading actors Ranbir Kapoor and Vidya Balan were among the first of a stream of Bollywood A-listers to visit Dutt’s home to offer sympathy and support to the actor and his family.

Actor Jaya Bachchan, who is a member of Rajya Sabha, said she would meet the governor of Maharashtra state to plead for Dutt’s cause. “I am going to appeal to the governor that Sanjay be pardoned. He has suffered a lot and is a changed person,” Bachchan, the wife of legendary actor, Amitabh Bachchan, said on Friday.
Film director Mahesh Bhatt tweeted: “Heart broken. Just heard that Sanjay Dutt has to go to jail for 5 years. I expected mercy! Alas it did not happen.”

As tweeted by Priyanka Chopra, “Sanju sir is an important part of the industry. I have worked closely with him, so I am definitely feeling bad. But I hope the judiciary gives him some respite considering his family,”
Moreover, beyond this exceptional support from Bollywood, the stats of investment in Film Industry states that the conviction of Sanjay Dutt for 5 years has jammed around 250 crores of investment driven upon the actor.

The most talk about and yet to finish project is remake of Amitabh Bacchan starrer, blockbuster Zanjeer by Apoorva Lakhia’s where Mr. Sanjay Dutt was roped in to play Sher Khan, a role original played by Pran. Further, a remake of 2003 Tamil hit film Sammy, with the title, Policegiri was scheduled to get release on 14th June, completed by 95%, starring Sanjay Dutt and Prachi Desai in the lead and directed by K S Ravi Kumar.

Moreover Sanjay Dutt recently teamed up with Rajkumar Hirani for his upcoming film Peekay for a small but significant role that stars Amir Khan, Anushka Sharma and Sushant Singh Rajput in lead. The shooting is currently in progress in small town called Mandawa in Rajasthan and is scheduled to get release in Christmas.
Furthermore, Sanjay Dutt entered into entrepreneurship with Raj Kundra in 2012 by launching India’s first professionally organized art league- the super fight league, along with remarking his small screen presence such as in ‘Big Boss 5’ with Salmaan Khan.

A close friend of the actor said: “Dutt has told his producers to finish as much shooting as possible before he surrenders.

Sanjay is expected to get started on the projects this week, as he has been asked by the Supreme Court to surrender within four weeks of the verdict.

“The commitment stunned all of us,” said the friend.

Further he adds, “Actually, the enormity of the court verdict didn’t sink in to Sanju sir on Thursday. All day and night we surrounded him and kept him busy. T.P.Aggarwal even fed Sanju Sir biryani with his own hands. We kept the atmosphere in his house very very light.”

“Guests kept dropping in. All his friends were there. Ranbir Kapoor, Vidya Balan and Farhan Akhtar came towards evening. We all narrated anecdotes from Sanju sir’s wild days to Ranbir since he wasn’t even born in Sanju sir’s ‘Rocky’ days.”
However, Sanjay Dutt’s wife Manyata was extremely upset. “She was inconsolable. She put up a brave front, but she kept breaking down throughout the day. It’s a shocker for the entire family. Sanju sir hasn’t even begun to understand what this means. We are all hoping for a miracle,” added the source.

Now, with this judgments through the hopes are still left for Actor behind the corner of time or miracle. Nevertheless remarking this reprise of imprisonment, Sanjay Dutt life is set to take a toll of changes challenging his innermost power of strength support and belief. With his stream of fan followers and constant support from Bollywood, the actor though disheartened says, he still has faith in judiciary and will keep exploring the legal options.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Facebook  Twitter  India RSS  Add to bookmarks

Recent Posts

Popular Posts



Valid CSS!Valid XHTML 1.0 TransitionalIndian Hotels | India News | Real Estate | New Pages | Advertise With Us | Site Map | Website By
Copyright © 2008 - 2012 TIG India Travel | Privacy Policy