Pumpkin pie is a traditional North American sweet dessert, eaten during the fall and early winter especially for Thanksgiving and Christmas. The pumpkin is a symbol of harvest time and featured also at Halloween.
The pie consists of a pumpkin-based custard, ranging in color from orange to brown, baked in a single pie shell, rarely with a top crust. The pie is generally flavored with nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and ginger.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Dessert:
• 15 pounds canned pumpkin
• 2 packets Graham Crackers
• 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp ground cloves
• 1/4 tsp ground ginger
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 1 cup pecan, coarsely chopped for topping
• 1/2 cup whipped cream
• 2 tbsps powdered sugar
• 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts
• In a medium mixing bowl, coarsely break the crackers.
• In another bowl, whisk sugar, spices and pumpkin puree until sugar dissolves. With a spatula, gently mix crackers, pumpkin puree and pecan.
• Lightly grease the bottom of an 8x8 inch square dish. Spread the mixture evenly. Let it set in the fridge for a few hours. Mix whipped cream with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes.
• Add powdered sugar and mix until combined. Spread on top of dessert and sprinkle some toasted hazelnut on top.
• Serve cold in small slices.