|India Indian Food Festival Recipes Holi Thandai Drink
Holi Celebrations: How to make Thandai
Thandai is a refreshing and healthful drink, traditionally associated with many Hindu festivals, especially Holi. Learn how to make/prepare Thandai by following this easy recipe.
Ingredients for recipe:
- 1 1/2 liters Water
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 tbsp Almonds
- 1 tbsp Watermelon seeds skinned
- 1/2 tbsp Khuskhus (Poppy seeds)
- 1/2 tbsp Saunf (Aniseed)
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/2 tsp Rosewater
- 1 tsp Whole peppercorns
- 1/4 cup Dried or fresh rose petals
Method for thandai drink:
- Soak sugar in 1/2 liter of the water used. Keep aside.
- Wash clean all other dry ingredients, except cardamom if using powder.
- Soak in 2 cups of remaining water. Keep aside.
- Allow all soaked items to stand for at least 2 hours.
- Grind all soaked ingredients to a very fine paste. (not sugar)
- Use a stone grinder (manual or electric) if possible.
- When the paste is very fine, mix remaining water.
- Place a strong muslin strainer over a large deep vessel. Or tie a strong muslin cloth over rim of vessel and use to strain.
- Press through muslin with back of palms, extracting the liquid into vessel.
- Add remaining water, a little at a time to extract more.
- Pour back some of the extract and press, repress.
- Repeat this process till the residue becomes dry and husk like.
- Add milk, sugar and rosewater to the extracted liquid.
- If using cardamom powder mix it in with the milk.
- Mix well. Chill for a hour of two before serving.