Vijayawada Tourist Guide, Hotels, Road Maps & Climate
Vijayawada, due to its location and proximity to major rail and road routes, is a major trading center and the third largest city of Indian state of Karnataka. Vijayawada, also known as Bezawada, is located on the banks of the Krishna River and bounded by the Indrakiladri Hills and the Budemeru River. Vijayawada literally translates to "The Place of Victory". Its prominence as a major trading and business center has earned it the title of, “The Business Capital of Andhra Pradesh”. Situated along the Madras-Howrah and Madras-Delhi Railway route, this is the largest railway junction of the South Central Railway region. (Under wikipedia GNU)
Tourist Spots in Vijayawada:
1. Prakasham barrage: Built across the river Krishna connecting Guntur District, Prakasham Barrage has created a panoramic lake. Its three canals that run through the city give Vijayawada a Venetian look.
2. Manginapudi beach: Located about 70 km from vijayawada .
3. Undavalli caves: Located in Guntur district five kilometers from Vijayawada, these caves are said to be carved in 7th century A.D. A huge monolith of the Lord Buddha in reclining posture is a magnificent sight.
4. Rajiv Gandhi Park: this park welcomes the tourists at the entrance of the city with its impressive horticultural network. A mini zoo and a musical water fountain are added to it.
5. Gandhi Hill: The first Gandhi Memorial with seven stupas in the country
6. Victoria Museum: Victoria Museum has a carefully preserved collection of ancient sculptures, paintings, idols, weapons, cutlery, and inscriptions.
7. Mogalarajapuram Caves: These caves are said to be excavated in 5th century A.D. The idols of Lord Nataraja, Vinayaka & Arthanareeswara are carved here, but none of the statue are available here.
8. Bhavani Island: located on Krishna River close to the city. AP Tourism is converting this 133-acre (54 hectare) island into an attractive tourist spot and a River Front Resort. The island currently has some cottages to stay in and some good adventure and fun sports. Journey to the island by boat is very pleasant.
9. Kondapalli Fort: situated 16 km from Vijayawada. A 7th century fort on the hill with an impressive three storeyed rock tower was witness to the glory of many dynasties. The village is famous for toy making with light-weight wood available on the hill forest. These toys are famous world-over as "Kondapalli toys".
Religious Places to visit for Tourists:
1. Kanaka Durga Temple: located on a hill (Indrakeeladri) overlooking the city as well as the River Krishna. Inscriptions of different dynasties are found in the temple.
2. Marakata Rajarajeswari Temple: Unique temple of goddess completely built with stone and has intricate architecture symbolizing SRICHAKRA - the abode of mother Goddess.
3. Subramanya Swamy Temple: One of the most popular temples in Vijayawada
4. Sri Nagarala Sri Maha Lakshmi Ammavaru Temple: During Dasara Festival, thousands of devotees from the city visit this temple.
5. Mangalagiri: Located in Guntur District, 12 km from Vijayawada, the unique feature of this temple is that the mouth of the idol accepts half the quantity of panakam (jaggery dissolved in water) offered by devotees, irrespective of the size of the vessel.
6. Amaravati: an important Buddhist site in the country, Acharya Nagarjuna constructed the country's largest stupa here, 2000 years back.
7. Hazarat Bal Mosque: A holy relic of the Prophet Mohammed is kept here which is displayed once a year.
8. Hinkar Thirtha (Jain Temple), Mangalagiri: slated to be the biggest Jain temple in the region.
Vijayawada is an important link connecting the three regions of Andhra Pradesh and is a major transit point. The domestic airport located at Gannavaram, about 10-km, from the city connects Vijayawada to Hyderabad, Madras, Rajahmundry and Bangalore. Situated along the Madras- Howrah and Madras-Delhi rail route, Vijayawada is the biggest railway junction of the South Central Railway. Vijayawada is well connected to the rest of the country by National Highways — NH-5 and NH-9.
We at travelindia-guide.com always try to provide you with relevant travel information so that you can plan your holiday vacations easily. So, check out our road maps section where you can calculate distances & find shortest routes. Also, get detailed information on the famous tourist spots and unbeatable rates on Vijayawada hotels reservation when you book hotel rooms with us. If you want to share your trip memories with us, please upload your photos in our travel photo gallery.
Are you planning to visit Vijayawada in Andhra Pradesh in the near future? Then, here's the climate, temperature and Vijayawada weather forecast so that you can plan your vacation or business trip accordingly: