Visakhapatnam Tourist Guide, Hotels, Road Maps & Climate
Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh's main seaport and a coastal, port city of India, is the second largest city of the state and is home to Indian Navy's Eastern Naval Command. It is situated among the hills of the Eastern Ghats facing the Bay of Bengal to the east and is also known by the name "Vizag". (Under wikipedia GNU)
Tourist Spots in Visakhapatnam:
Visakhapatnam, which is the second largest city of AndhraPradesh with area of 550 sq kms is primarily an industrial city, apart from being a tourist destination.
* Tourists are attracted by its unspoilt beaches, nearby scenic Araku Valley and Borra caves, the 11th-century Simhachalam temple and ancient Buddhist sites like Totlakonda & Bavikonda spread across the area.
* Dolphins Nose: This is a rocky promontory. It is the best known tourist spot in the city, 16 km north-east of Simhachalam, is a 11th century Vishnu temple.
* Bheemunipatnam: One of the east coast's oldest Dutch settlements in India. It is situated about 25 km north-east of Visakhapatnam.
* Rushikonda: Just 8Kms from Vizag, Rushikonda beach is a picture perfect setting with golden sands, surf, sea and hill cottages, ideal place for skiing and wind surfing.
* Ramakrishna Beach: It is one of the most prominent beaches on the East Cost. The important landmarks in the city viz. Submarine Museum, Visakha Museum, Aquarium, number of road side parks with children play equipments & lawns, War Memorial, statues of eminent personalities and many more are situated in this beach only.
* Kailasagiri Park: located on a picturesque hill, it's named Kailasagiri owing to the presence of the statue of the celestial couple (Siva-Parvathi statue)
* Simhachalam: One of the most exquisitely sculpted shrines of Andhra Pradesh, Simhachalam temple is situated 16 km from Vizag among thickly wooded hills.
* The Vuda Park: has dancing musical fountains, boating facility, skating ring, a well-equipped gymnasium and a stable offering pleasure rides on camels and horses.
* Indira Gandhi Zoological Park: The important attractions of the Zoo are Deer Safari, Nocturnal animals, Toy train, Shanty Sarovar view, Zoo van drive and Bay of Bengal view points.
* Araku Valley: situated at a distance of 112 km from Visakhapatnam, its a pleasant hill station famous for its scenic gardens with lush green nature, valleys, waterfalls and streams.
* Borra Caves: Borra Caves house spectacular, million-year-old stalactite and stalagmite formations. The river Gostani, beautiful hills and valleys surround these caves.
* Anantagiri: Located on the way to Araku Valley, the entire village is surrounded by coffee plantations and has several waterfalls.
* Appikonda: it's a small village situated on the coast of the Bay of Bengal at a distance of 30 kms from Vizag, and has religious importance because of the existence of a Shiva temple containing a life size Nandi carved out of black stone.
* Etikoppaka: famous for colourful toys made of soft wood called "Ankudu" and coated with lac.
* Submarine Museum: The city hoasts a submarine museum, the first of its kind in South Asia, at Rama Krishna Beach.
Ancient Buddhist Sites:
* Thotlakonda: lies about 16Kms from Visakhapatnam. Consists of Mahastupa, 16 votive stupas, a stone pillared congregation hall, 11 rock-cut cisterns, well paved stone path ways, an apsidal chaitya-griha, 3 circular chaitgya-grihas , two votive platforms, 10 viharas consisted of 72 cells, a kitchen complex with three halls and a refectory (dinning hall) etc.
* Bavikonda: Buddhist heritage site located on a hill about 15kms., northeast from Visakhapatnam city. A piece of bone stored in an urn recovered here is believed to belong to the mortal remains of the Buddha.
* Sankaram: Located 40 km from South of Vizag, famous for its numerous Monolithic Votive Stupas, Rock cut caves, and brick build structural edifices.
* Pavuralakonda: 'the hill of the pigeons' is a hillock lying to the west of Bhimli, at about 24 km from Vizag.
* Gopalapatnam: situated on the left bank of River Tandava, is a village surrounded by brick built stupas, viharas and other Buddhist remains.
Visakhapatnam is well connected with daily flights from Hyderabad, Madras, Delhi, Bombay, Bangalore, Tirupati and Calcutta and has recently received permission to operate night flights. Visakhapatnam International Airport is coming up at S.Rayavaram, 50 km from the city. Visakhapatnam is one of the cities on the east coast of india connected by NH5, a major national highway and a part of the Golden Quadrilateral system of Indian highways connecting Madras and Calcutta. It also has a good network of roads. There are frequent buses to Vizianagaram, Srikakulam, Araku and Rajahmundry. There are even bus services to Hyderabad, Vijayawada, Tirupati, Bangalore, Madras, Calcutta and few other parts of Orissa and Karnataka.
We at travelindia-guide.com always try to provide you with relevant travel information so that you can plan your holiday vacations easily. So, check out our road maps section where you can calculate distances & find shortest routes. Also, get detailed information on the famous tourist spots and unbeatable rates on Visakhapatnam hotels reservation when you book hotel rooms with us. If you want to share your trip memories with us, please upload your photos in our travel photo gallery.
Are you planning to visit Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh in the near future? Then, here's the climate, temperature and Visakhapatnam weather forecast so that you can plan your vacation or business trip accordingly: