Kannur Tourist Guide, Hotels, Road Maps & Climate
Kannur is a city in the Indian state of Kerala. Known as Land of Looms and Lores, Kannur is the fourth largest urban city in Kerala after Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram and Kozhikode. Kannur is famous for its pristine beaches, its native performing art Theyyam, and its handloom industry. According to a recent survey, Kannur has been said to be one of ten best cities to live in India. (Under wikipedia GNU)
Tourist Spots in Kannur:
* St. Angelo Fort: built in 1505 by the first Portugese Vicereroy of India Don Francisco de Almeida.
* Payyambalam Beach: a very famous Kannur beach with an unbroken coastline of a few kilometres. From the beach, one can see ships in transit along the Malabar coast. The well laid out garden and the massive landscaped sculpture of Mother and Child erected by noted sculptor Kanayi Kunhiraman makes it extremely captivating.
* Arakkal Museum: located in Ayikkara, this is a museum dedicated to the Arakkal family, the only Muslim royal family in Kerala, south India. The durbar hall section of the palace has been converted into a museum by the Government of Kerala and was opened in July 2005.
* The Cannanore Lighthouse: The Sea View Park is another place of interest and the first lighthouse of Kannur, constructed in 1843, is still in use.
* The Defence Security Corps (DSC) Centre and DSC Records is located in Kannur town, on the road to Payyambalam Beach.
* Baby Beach, so-called because it is smaller than its larger neighbour, Payyambalam Beach. St. Angelo Fort is adjacent to it. The baby beach is part of the Cannanore Cantonment and access may be restricted at times.
* The Azhikkal Ferry — near Azhikode, about 10 km from Kannur town, where the Valapattanam river joins the Arabian sea. The Azhikkal ferry gives a magnificent view of the sunset. There is a granite pathway here which stretches 2 km into the sea.
* The Sea View Park, near the Payyambalam beach is overlooked by the Government Guest House. The Park is at an elevation from the sea level and gives a magnificent view of the sunset.
* The Vismaya amusement park, one of the largest water theme and amusement park in India.
Kannur is easily reachable by road, rail, air and sea. Kannur is on the National Highway 17 (NH-17) between Mahe and Talapady. The two airports at Mangalore, Karnataka in the north and Kozhikode in the south are just about 125 kilometers away from Kannur. Kannur Central Bus Terminal, currently Kerala's biggest bus terminal, located at Thavakkara, is also India's first bus terminal to be developed on a build-operate-transfer(BOT) basis. Kannur International Airport is coming up at Mattanur, once operational Kannur International Airport will be the largest airport in Kerala. Kannur is an ancient sea port & the 3.8 Km Sultan's Canal connects Perumba and Thaliparamba.
We at travelindia-guide.com always try to provide you with relevant travel information so that you can plan your holiday vacations easily. So, check out our road maps section where you can calculate distances & find shortest routes. Also, get detailed information on the famous tourist spots and unbeatable rates on Kannur hotels reservation when you book hotel rooms with us. If you want to share your trip memories with us, please upload your photos in our travel photo gallery.
Are you planning to visit Kannur in Kerala in the near future? Then, here's the climate, temperature and Kannur weather forecast so that you can plan your vacation or business trip accordingly: