Thrissur Tourist Guide, Hotels, Road Maps & Climate
Thrissur, also known as Trichur/Trissur, is a district situated in the central part of Kerala, India. Thrissur district was formed on July 1, 1949. The district is famous for its numerous ancient Temples, Churches, and Mosques and "Pooram" festivals including the world famous Thrissur Pooram and is known as the "Cultural Capital of Kerala". Thrissur Pooram is the most colourful and spectacular temple festival of Kerala.
The name Thrissur is derived from 'Thiru-Shiva-Perur', which literally translates to "The city with the name of the Lord Siva". Another interpretation for the name is 'Tri-shiva-peroor' or the big land with 3 Shiva temples, which refers to the 3 places where Lord Shiva resides - namely Punkunnam Siva temple, Kottapuram Siva temple and Vadakkunnathan temple. (Under wikipedia GNU)
Tourist Spots in Thrissur:
* Athirapilly Water Falls (63 km from Thrissur City) This 80 feet high waterfall at the threshold of the Sholayar ranges is a popular picnic spot. Two amusement parks - DreamWorld and SilverStorm - are located nearby.
* Vazhachal Just a short drive from Athirapilly is close to dense forests and a part of the Chalakudy river.
* Punnathur Kotta Elephant Sanctuary (23 km from city) It is the largest elephant park in the world, with over 60 elephants.
* Peechi Dam (20 km from city) It is a good picnic spot
* Chavakad Beach (25 km) A sea shore for rare scenic beauty. Acknowledged as one of the best beaches along the west coast.
* Vazhani Dam (24 km from city) It is a good picnic spot
* Chimmony dam (35 km from city) It is a beautiful picnic spot with facilities for boating
* Kerala Kalamandalam (30 km) It is in Cheruthuruthy and was founded by the Poet Sri. Vallathol Narayana Menon, to encourage the study of the ancient arts of Kerala such as Kathakali and Mohiniyattom.
* Cheraman Juma Masjid - built around 612 AD by Malik Ibn Dinar. First mosque constructed in India. A block of white marble in the mosque is believed to have been brought from Mecca.
We at travelindia-guide.com always try to provide you with relevant travel information so that you can plan your holiday vacations easily. So, check out our road maps section where you can calculate distances & find shortest routes. Also, get detailed information on the famous tourist spots and unbeatable rates on Thrissur hotels reservation when you book hotel rooms with us. If you want to share your trip memories with us, please upload your photos in our travel photo gallery.
Are you planning to visit Thrissur in Kerala in the near future? Then, here's the climate, temperature and Thrissur weather forecast so that you can plan your vacation or business trip accordingly: