A Tourist's Guide to Vellore
Vellore is considered to be one of the oldest surviving cities in South India. The city lies on the banks of the Palar river on the site of Vellore Fort. Vellore is situated between Chennai and Bangalore and the Temple towns of Thiruvannamalai and Tirupati. Vellore is famous for its Christian Medical College & Hospital or CMC, the largest and one of the most prestigious hospitals in India which is located in the heart of Vellore. (Under wikipedia GNU)
Places often frequented by Tourists in Vellore:
* Vellore Fort: The fort is one of the most perfect specimens of military architecture in Southern India. One of the interesting features of this fort is that there is a Hindu temple, Christian church and Muslim mosque within its ramparts. The Fort also houses the famous "Tipu Mahal", where Tipu Sultan is believed to have stayed with his family during the war with the British.
* State Government Museum: This state Government Museum is inside the fort and can be found on map and was opened to the public in 1985.
* Kavalur observatory (The Vainu Bappu Observatory): located in Kavalur in the Javadu Hills in Alangayam, Vellore District, the observatory is at an altitude of 725 m above mean sea level. Apart from being reasonably away from city lights and industrial areas, the location has been chosen in order to be closer to the earth's equator for covering both northern and southern hemispheres with equal ease. In addition, its longitudinal position is such that it is the only major astronomical facility between Australia and South Africa for observing the southern objects.The Largest Telescope in Asia with a diameter of 2.3M is located here.
* Yelagiri: Yelagiri hills, is an idyllic place for a short holiday. Green hills and picture post-card scenery greets you here. It is called the princess of hill stations and is the most pristine and unpolluted among the hill stations in Tamil Nadu.
* Amirthi Forest: Amirthi zoological park is situated under the Javvadu/Javadi Hills of Tellai across Amirthi river which is 25 km away from Vellore. This zoological park was started in October 1967.
Major Temples & Churches in Trichy:
* Jalakandeswarar Temple- Situated inside the Vellore Fort, Lord Shiva is worshipped in the form of "Jalakandeswarar".
* Ratnagiri Temple- a temple devoted to Lord Balamurugan located at Rathnagiri, Walaja Taluk about 10km from Vellore.
* Sri Lakshmi Temple in Sripuram- popularly known as Golden Temple, is a newly built Spiritual Park / Temple in Thirumalaikodi, Vellore. The whole exterior of the temple is laid with gold sheets and plates. The construction of this temple is reported to have cost Rs.300 crores (Rs.3 billion). The temple is surrounded by a vast lush green landscaped area and can only be accessed by going through a star shaped walkway.
* Vallimalai temple- Its a temple dedicated to Lord Murugan, which is located on top of the hill which is a part of the Eastern Ghats, about 30km from Vellore. The temple is known for its majestic views.
* Balamurugan Temple, Balamathi- it is a serene and small beautiful village located on top of the hills of Eastern Ghats is a 30 minute drive from Vellore. It is famous for its Balamurugan Temple which is connected to the city by a well laid road with many hair pin bends. Balamathi enjoys pleasant breeze and a substantially low temperature which makes a ideal break away from city's naturally hot weather.
* Cathedral- This is the main Cathedral of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Vellore. The bell tower of the church, said to be the Highest Bell Tower in India, is a major attraction.
Vellore is served by city bus service, which provide connectivity within the City, suburbs and places 30km in the radius of Vellore. The city does not have a functioning airport of its own, the nearest international airports are Chennai International Airport(130km), Bengaluru International Airport (200km) and the nearest domestic airport is Tirupati Airport (100km). Vellore city has a total of three railway stations.
We at travelindia-guide.com always try to provide you with relevant travel information through this Vellore travel guide, so that you can plan your holiday vacations easily. So, check out our road maps section where you can calculate distances & find shortest routes. Also, get detailed information on the famous tourist spots and unbeatable rates on Vellore hotels reservation when you book hotel rooms with us. If you want to share your trip memories with us, please upload your photos in our travel photo gallery.
Are you planning to visit Vellore in Tamil Nadu in the near future? Then, here's the climate, temperature and Vellore weather forecast so that you can plan your vacation or business trip accordingly: